I have shared Elise’s story with wonderful groups and communities. The following was a first to discuss the term ‘Trauma-bonding’ and since most of the people attending had read the story we collectively decided the term explains much of Percy’s success in managing his estate.
- Winter Wheat Literary Festival, Portage La Prairie Library, “Writing your truth.”
- Creative Retirement Local History—Another Look The winner of 2012 Manitoba Historical Society’s Local History Award, and a finalist in the 2016 Whistler Independent Book Awards has sold 2700 copies. What is it about this self-published book, For Elise Unveiling the Forgotten Woman on the Criddle Homestead that keeps attracting such wide interest? Does the story have something to say about the current backlash against women? There is much to discuss in Oriole Veldhuis’s seemingly simple telling of her great-grandmother’s story. Do the words ‘trauma- bonding’ shed helpful light on the darkness of some past and present relationships? The author welcomes your participation.
- Writers Festival in Whistler, Oct 13-16, Attending with my husband was enriching and exciting. Following the event we enjoyed a day on Salt Spring Island and then drove back east through the misty, rainy mountains. In Red Deer I met with an enthusiastic group and described my research and writing. I hope they are encouraged to write their own stories. In Edmonton, Jim Robertson organized a very lively group of 20 including entomologist, Greg Pohl, whose review you can find under Reviews. Had I know it would be such fun speaking about my book I might have shed fewer tears as I wrote the story
- Readings in Southwest Manitoba’s libraries April May 2017: Cartwrite, Pilot Mound, Melita, Pierson, Elkhorn, Reston.
- Interlake libraries: Eriksdale, Arburg, Pauline Johnson Library, Lundar, and Selkirk
- Readings in Ontario May, 2016.Lucan, St. Mary’s, Lion’s Head: Wiarton; Elmira Mennonite Church, Essex; Cottam, & Windsor Central
Pipestone Branch of the Saskatchewan Genealogical Society, Moosomin, Saskatchewan
Southwest Branch Manitoba Genealogy Workshop, Brandon, Dinner Speaker
- Rural and Northern Archives Manitoba (RNAM) of Manitoba, Winkler, Sept. 25
- Archive, Hemmingford, Quebec,
- Brandon University Alumni Authors
- Women’s Institute Spring Rally, Reston, MB
- Elm Creek Manor with guests from Carman (Wonderful gathering)
- Daly House Museum, Brandon
- Churches: Harrow, Holland, Churchill Park, Augustine, Westworth, Trinity United, Brandon in MB, and Trinity United, Elmira, & St. Paul’s United, Brampton, ON.
- Book Clubs: Glenboro, Manitoba Historical Society, St. Andrews River Heights, Westminster Book Club, Westworth United, Springfield, St Marks and Messiah Lutheran Churches. Winnipeg Public Library Tuesday morning Book Club, Mississauga, Ontario.
- Libraries: Boissevain, Brandon, Carberry, Erickson, Glenboro, Hamiota, Hartney, Killarney, , Minnedosa, Neepawa, Portage la Prairie, Neepawa, Selkirk, Souris, Virden, Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Redvers Saskatchewan.
- University Women’s Club, Ralph Connor House, Winnipeg
- The Women’s Canadian Club of Winnipeg
- Historical Societies: Carman & Fort Garry, Charleswood, Manitoba
- United Empire Loyalists’ Association, Manitoba Branch